In our episode detailing the devastating Syrian conflict, we painted a pretty bleak picture of the crisis, and the daunting challenges facing how we can resolve the conflict, and eventually rebuild the country. Nonetheless, there are organizations large and small that are involved in crucial humanitarian work on the ground in Syria. We've listed a variety of organizations below where you can direct resources to literally save and improve lives.
Direct Aid Organizations Operating in Syria
- Hand in Hand for Syria: Provides emergency provisions and works with Syrian communities to rebuild their quality of life.
- Islamic Relief USA: Provides food, medical aid and other important provisions to Syrians in need, both within Syria and refugees in neighboring countries.
- Karam Foundation: Works to rebuild schools and administer educational programs to education Syrian children.
- Project Amal ou Salam: Grassroots organization that sponsors music, art, sports, and team-building workshops for Syrian refugee children.
- Syrian American Medical Society: Provides emergency medical services and training to people in need within Syria, as well as refugees in surrounding countries.
- White Helmets: A volunteer civilian response organization that conducts search and rescues in response to bombings, medical evacuations and emergency service delivery.